Author Topic: How do you verify the history of a Japanese import car?  (Read 40 times)

abdulsamad

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
How do you verify the history of a Japanese import car?
« on: May 04, 2026, 08:43:04 PM »
Hi all, I’ve been doing a bit of digging into the Top Japanese used cars in the UK lately as I’m considering my first import, but I’ve hit a bit of a wall when it comes to checking history.

I’m based in Manchester and looking at something like a Toyota Crown or maybe a Honda Stepwgn budget around £8–10k. I’ve seen a few decent listings from import dealers, but I’m not 100% sure how to properly verify the car’s background before committing. With UK cars it’s easy enough with MOT history and DVLA checks, but imports feel a bit more… opaque?

Some questions I’ve got:

How do you verify mileage is genuine on a Japanese import?
Are auction sheets reliable, and how do you actually read them?
Is there an equivalent to an MOT history before the car arrived in the UK?
Anything specific insurers look for with imports?

I’ve noticed a lot of the Top Japanese used cars in the UK seem to come through auctions, so I assume there must be a standard way people here check them properly.

Just trying to avoid making an expensive mistake Any advice or tools you lot use would be appreciated!